Sometimes it seems I spend all my time on social media sharing memes or laughing at the latest antics of some pop star (or some politician who thinks he’s a pop star). But in fact, I especially enjoy sharing stories about science that come up, or that I come across on my own at other websites.
The main reason I share them is to remind those who visit my social media sites (both of you, apparently) that, despite the pandemic, despite crazy politics, despite social unrest and climate change, and whatever they’re making fun of on TMZ, science is still happening, and it is accomplishing amazing things… some of which will hopefully, eventually solve so many of our present problems and future concerns.
Another reason I pick these out is that many of them might provide the kernal for an interesting science fiction story; you never know when a bit of new science development may suggest new possibilities and, intriguingly, new challenges. Said stories might not even feature the science from these articles, but it might provide an extra layer to the story, the characters or even a better-detailed background, making the whole thing better to read.
As an example, here are the stories I’ve shared in social media in just the last month:
- “Remote Control” for Diabetes Tackles Blood Sugar with Electromagnetism
- Waymo Finally Opens Fully Driverless Taxi Service to Public
- Drone-Jamming Gun Claimed to be One of the Smallest and Lightest
- Middle Schooler Builds Tiny, Working Fusion Reactor
- Top 10 Eco-friendly Hotels In The U.S.
- Bio-convergence: A Quantum Leap in the Drug Development World
- Physicists Build Circuit That Generates Clean, Limitless Power from Graphene
- NASA Finds Evidence Two Early Planets Collided to Form Moon
- Lab-Grown Meat Company Raises $55m In Funding
- As Wildfires Continue in Western United States, Biologists Fear for Vulnerable Species
- No Evidence That Hydroxychloroquine Can Prevent Covid-19, Concludes New Study
- Ninety Percent of U.S. Cars Must Be Electric by 2050 to Meet Climate Goals
- Second Alignment Plane of Solar System Discovered
- Mars Express Spacecraft Has Discovered Liquid Water Ponds Buried Under the Martian Surface
- Wastewater Predicts COVID-19 Outbreaks Days Before Diagnostic Testing
- Moon Safe for Long-Term Human Exploration, First Surface Radiation Measurements Show
- NASA Astronaut Plans To Cast Her Ballot From Space Station
- Dynetics Human Lunar Landing System
- Possible Sign of Life On Venus Stirs Up Heated Debate
- Climate Change Denialist Given Top Role at Major U.S. Science Agency
See anything inspiring in there? Well, if not, don’t worry… there’s always next month.